Sunday 11 October 2015

AAR: Year of Hell

This weekend marked my usually monthly excursion to Wayland Games to play in their Attack Wing tournament. I had a lot of trouble working out exactly what to take, as I wasn't sure exactly how the scenario would play. Eventually I decided on this:

NB: We do not enforce either the 50 point maximum or the 3 ship minimum, and no resources are retired.

Ship 1:
Scimitar
Shinzon
Tactical Officer
Interphase Generator
Cloaked Mines
Thaleron Weapon

Ship 2
Reman Warbird
Donatra
Fleet Captain (Independent Dominion)
Attack Pattern Shinzon Theta
Mendak
Tactical Officer
Interphase Generator
Cloaked Mines
Advanced Cloaking

The idea was to barrel forward as quickly as possible, drop mines and then use the superior firepower of the two warbirds to take down any ship before the wave hit. To be honest, I just wanted to try something a little different from the Federation Evader-naughts that I usually build.

Round 1:

Rich, Dominion


Rich was running double battleships, with one featuring Khan, Q and Quinn, whilst the other (named) one featured Dukat, Boheeka and Breen Aide. This whole game hinged upon the use of the Thaleron Weapon during the first engagement round, which with TL, Tactical Officer and BS managed to strip Khan's ship of all its useful crew and take down its shields. Without Q's Ship action to turn around, the battleships became easy prey for the two Reman Warbirds. Revenge for last month, where Rich's Species fleet clipped the wings of my Bajoran fleet.

Result 120 Me-Rich 0

Round 2:
Dan, Borg



Dan and I go way back, and he has been experimenting for a while with the Borg, hoping to make them competitive in the new post-nerf meta. Dan was flying two Tac Cubes (one with Locutus and one with the Borg Queen for skill 9 and 8 respectively). Once again the Thaleron weapon did its business and I was able to remove skill 9 Locutus from the game before his higher initiative became an issue. From there it was a case of keeping cloak up and dropping mines to ensure the eventual demise of the Queen's cube.

Result 120 Me-Dan 0

Round 3: Alex, Borg/Romulans


Alex had lost his first game to Dan but won against Rich, I was pretty sure that barring a major cock up I'd come out of the event on top, but was hoping for the clean sweep.

Alex was running a cube and Prototype 01, the Drone ship being designed to survive the worst of the wave thanks to its ship ability and tech. This game was certainly the longest of the three, with the Thaleron Weapon having little effect thanks to Alex's low number of crew. I completely forgot to drop mines this game, so it ended up being a slug fest, with my Scimitar having to create temporal shields twice. Thankfully, I did eventually win, without losing a ship, and took out the event overall.

Result 160 Me-Alex 20



Another good OP event there, and whilst I was unsure about the scenario to start with, I found it enjoyable and challenging. Roll on Balance of Terror next month!

Still not Picard though...

No comments:

Post a Comment